Olympic sport psychologist

RossHall

Ross Hall is a BPS-chartered sport psychologist and senior lecturer on the BSc (Hons) Sport Psychology degree.

Describe what you do
Assist with the psychological preparation of elite athletes towards consistent optimal sporting performance.

How did you get into it?
Mostly by accident, really. I completed my undergraduate degree and became interested in the impact of psychological preparation within sport towards the end of my second year.

Biggest learning curve?
Understanding that performance outcomes should not be the sole focus of sport (but results count!) and that athletes’ personal needs should also be considered within any interventions. 

What do you enjoy about it?
I get to travel the world and see major sporting events from a different perspective and have a large part to play with assisting performance outcomes.  Being part of a National team in the build up to and during major events is a special experience and one that money can’t buy. 

What has been the career highlight? 
Personally, I have been to local, national, European and World Championships in various sports, but attending the 2008 Beijing Paralympic and London 2012 Olympic Games in support of GB teams have to be the pinnacle of my career to date.

Advice to people considering this career path
The path to professional accreditation can be a long one, but if it was easy, everyone would do it!  It is essential to begin with an accredited undergraduate degree scheme, which will not limit your choice of career i.e., studying a BPS accredited sport psychology degree will enable you to focus on other areas of psychology (health, clinical and so forth) once graduated.