Chartered surveyor Owain Llywelyn

Owain Llywelyn Property

Senior Lecturer in surveying Owain Llywelyn tells us about his background and experience.

"I started my career as a lawyer but along the way found an interest in property and therefore went onto to become a chartered surveyor and chartered arbitrator.

I now run my own show alongside my academic role at USW, as sole practitioner at my own practice. This means students benefit from my ability to bring real life cases and experiences into the classroom. I’m also able to, on occasion, take students from the MSc Asset Management course along to sit in on things like valuation tribunals, which is hugely beneficial to their studies and experience.

I was Chair of the Royal Welsh Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RCIS) for five years and am also now a Welsh representative for RCIS International which sees 63 members across the world meet three times a year to discuss and decide the shape of surveying worldwide.

I’m also a regular contributor on television and radio on all things property. We have a national obsession with house prices so I’m often in demand!

I suppose the highlight of my career has been my involvement in the development of the Bay area of Cardiff. I worked on as project as consultant, advising on acquisitions. It’s incredible to see how the area has now developed as such a key area in Cardiff for both for business and leisure.

I’m currently working on HS2 (High Speed 2) which is a planned high-speed railway which will see the major cities of the Midlands and the North connected to London. It’s a really exciting project to be involved in."