Working the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury

Metallica tour - Tom Vallis, Lighting Graduate

BSc (Hons) Lighting Design & Technology graduate Tom Vallis is a laser technician for London-based company ER Productions. His job takes him around the world, working with bands like The Arctic Monkeys. He is currently touring with Metallica.

What's the best bit about your job?
Getting to work with some of the biggest music artists in the world, and seeing the world at the same time. I also enjoy getting into the technical side of the systems.

What has been the highlight so far?
Having the opportunity to work on the pyramid stage at Glastonbury with the headline artists. And working at a vast number of music festivals across Europe over the summer.

What is a laser technician?
I’m a technician who specialises in the setup, configuration and operation of laser systems on a range of shows from touring to corporate within the live events production industry. At show time I will typically be found either at front of house operating the lasers using the control software, or on stage at the control racks over seeing the control side of the system.

How did this course prepare you for this?
The course prepared me for this job by giving me a range of contacts within the industry, as well as building on my technical knowledge and troubleshooting skills.

Image shows laser show (courtesy of Tom!) from Metallica's 2014 European tour.