The teaching is amazing

Kasey_Connell-_Community_Health_Wellbeing

Kasey Connell from Hastings in East Sussex is in the final year of the BSc (Hons) Community Health and Well Being degree. She hopes to progress on to do a Masters in Health Research, and eventually go on to complete a PhD. 

"The teaching is amazing! The lecturers deliver their classes with such enthusiasm and I really enjoy their modules. 

In the second year of the Foundation Degree we had to complete a mini-research project, 3000 words on a project involving our work based practice or academic area. I researched sleep quality in USW students and whether there was a difference between males and females. The background research was really interesting and completing the project allowed me to realise that I wanted to pursue a career in Health Research. 

You are required to do a placement module of 225 hours in the second years. I took on the role as a Health Care Assistant for a local care company, providing personal care for service users in their own home. Modules such as Anatomy and Physiology and Pathology really helped me throughout placement as you need that basic knowledge of the human body when caring for people.

The course is only one day a week but you’re expected to do your own independent study on the remaining days, this may include self-directed tasks, assignments, or background readings of various journals.

At the end of the day, what you put into your study is what you get out of it. Most of all, just enjoy it. These three years will be the best time of your life, so go out and make some memories!

I also work as a Student Ambassador at Open Days and Applicant Days. The questions I am most often asked by people attending these events are:

What kind of career can I have with the Foundation Degree and/or the BSc (Hons) Degree?
A lot of students use the FD to gain experience before starting a nursing degree but there are so many different career routes that can be accessed from the course. It’s best to go in with an open mind, anything is possible. 

How do you really feel about doing a dissertation?
10,000 words is a lot! But I am really enjoying it; it’s a publication on a subject which I love so that makes it so much easier. Top Tip: when you get round to your dissertation the best thing to do is to split the chapters up into essays, that way you feel like there is less to write and less pressure too. "