Only by educating myself can I progress

Paula Grainger, FD Community Health and Wellbeing

Paula Grainger, from Cardiff, studied the Foundation Degree Community Health and Wellbeing and has now progressed to the Adult Nursing degree at USW. Here she speaks about her experiences on the community health and wellbeing course.

"Going back to education was very hard as I felt sure I would be the oldest in my class. However, before the Foundation Degree, I had studied an Access to Nursing course and a Health and Social Care course, so I knew that only by educating myself could I progress. Now, age doesn’t bother me and there is such a wide range of people and ages on the course that I don’t even think about it.

I am enjoying the course very much; there is so much help and support if I need it. Because I am only in University once a week, I find the workload easy to manage. I have lots of time to do the homework, alongside raising a large family.

Blackboard, the online learning system, has all the modules and explains in detail how the criteria must be met in order to pass. If I am ever struggling with any of my work, I know I can go to a Study Skills session, or book an appointment with my personal tutor. 

The teaching is outstanding as every subject is explained in detail. Personally, I record my lectures and take notes as this is my preferred learning style. 

My favourite module is Anatomy and Physiology. This module is all about the structure and function of the body. There is so much to learn about the human body, and I’m fascinated to keep discovering new things. 

For my placement, I worked in an elderly care home. My role was to befriend the residents, discover their interests and accompany them to and from their rooms. I gained my manual handling certificate, and had the opportunity to shadow a registered nurse.

My ambition is to become an adult nurse. The Community Health and Wellbeing course will help me to develop the skills and experience required to progress into the nursing profession."

What to do now: Come to our next Open Day to find out more | Apply for Foundation Degree Community Health and Wellbeing