So you want to study Nursing?

Moira Davies

Moira Davies, Admissions Tutor for Nursing, answers the most commonly asked questions about applying for a Nursing degree.

How do I apply?
You apply via UCAS.

When can I apply?
UCAS opens at the beginning of October the year before you wish to start and closes on January 15.

Can I apply through University Clearing?
Our Adult Nursing degree and Child Nursing degrees are always full and cannot be applied for through Clearing; however, our Learning Disability Nursing and Mental Health Nursing courses can sometimes be applied for in Clearing.

Will I have to have an interview?
Yes. All nursing students are interviewed.

When are the interviews?
Generally we interview between January and March, with some interviews held on Saturdays. The majority of Nursing interviews are held at USW, on our Glyntaff campus, with some in the local health boards.

Does everyone get an interview?
No and we are unable to give feedback if you are unsuccessful, sorry. We advise anyone planning to reapply to attend a further Open Day and look at the website for up-to-date information.

What is the application process?
Applications that meet our criteria are read and scored, with particular attention paid to the personal statement; we then interview and select those to offer.

Do I need experience to apply?
Experience in care is always desirable, but it is by no means essential. Experience of working in the hospitality and retail sectors are also acceptable. Learning disability nursing like their applicants to have some experience either personal or work of learning disability, either personal or professional.

When will I know if I am successful?
The deadline to apply for the Nursing degree is March 31. Adult Nuring and Mental Health Nursing has two intakes during the academic year, one in September and the other in March. As the intakes are in the same academic year your application is considered for both intakes. You do not need apply for both intakes via UCAS but by using the one admissions cycle for consideration for both intakes it means you only have to have one application and interview. If you are offered the March Cohort this in no way reflects on your application or interview, there is no differential made and we mix both cohorts with a range of interview scores. 

If you go Firm to the University with an offer to start in March, and following the confirmation period late August, we may have a small number of September places available. In this instance, we will contact applicants from the March cohort to see if they wish to start in the September. Please note we can only offer an earlier start date if you are holding a Firm offer for the University of South Wales.

What happens next?
You then need to accept or decline the offer we make you, by marking us your Firm or Insurance choice. This is usually by the beginning of May. If we are your Firm choice you will then be sent a pack at the end of May giving you information on what you need to do next.

What should be in my personal statement?
These are personal to you and focused on your field of choice. They highlight the skills that you have that are transferable to the field of nursing you have chosen. Here are some great tips to follow.

What qualifications do I need to get on to the Nursing degree?
A range of qualifications are acceptable, currently we are asking BBB or BB +Welsh baccalaureate in A levels.  BTEC is a DDM or DD + Welsh baccalaureate these are combined with five GCSEs including English and Maths. There is also Access to Healthcare/Nursing courses. If you need further information we strongly recommend you discuss this with the admission team on an Open Day

What happens if I am unsuccessful at either application stage?
If you are unsuccessful, you are able to reapply the following cycle.

When will I know if I have a place after my results?
If you meet the condition of your offer (get your grades required) this will be confirmed in August when your results are released.

Do I have to declare any cautions or convictions?
Yes you do. We do an enhanced DBS - disclosure and barring service check.

How is the Nursing course structured?
The course is 50% theory and 50% practice in one of our partner health boards.

How will I be assessed?
We have a range of essays, exams, poster presentations, oral presentations in university and you are also assessed in clinical practice.

How will I be supported while I am in the hospitals?
You will be allocated a Mentor who is a registered nurse for the duration of your placement in that area.

How will I be supported while I am in University?
You will get a personal tutor for the duration of your studies and you will get a range of relevant support as necessary.

Can I take holidays at any time?
No, this is set out for you at the start of your course and you will know these for the duration of your studies.

How much money will I get?
There is a NHS Wales Bursary Scheme. You can also apply for a student loan.

Do I have to work shifts?
Yes you will, including weekends and nights.

Will I be able to study abroad?
Yes, the option to study abroad can be available in year two.

Where will my placements be?
We work with three health boards and your placements will be within any of these.

Where will I live?
You have three options - you can live in the staff residences in one of our health boards, University accommodation, or if local enough, live at home.

Do you have dual training for more than one field of Nursing?
No, not in Wales.

Useful links