Lauren's placement at a design practice

Lauren Clarke - Interior Design

Lauren Clarke is on a paid internship at Paramount Interiors Ltd, a leading design practice with offices in Cardiff and London. Lauren was selected for the placement after her student project won a live brief for the client.

"Any new job is a challenge – and for someone who isn't yet qualified there is an added pressure, too! But I am absorbing every bit of knowledge and information that's on offer. Being able to put everything into practice in the real world of work is building on the foundations set out by my tutors.

My role has been incredibly varied. I have been lucky to be involved in all aspects of the design process from the first meeting with clients, right to the end of the submission process. The experience is definitely keeping me on my toes! Although situated in the Design Department I have worked closely with all areas of the business. This means I have learnt a lot in a short space of time, from fire regulations, furniture suppliers, wall coverings and carpet manufacturers to how to survey a building accurately, how to construct client drawings to a high standard and more. I have also been able to develop my skills with AutoCAD, 3ds max and Google SketchUp Pro.

There is so much I will take back to my third year and my future career – the ability to work to strict deadlines, being confident to deal with clients, organising my workload and time. I’ve also earned how to work under extreme pressure so I feel better equipped to tackle the stress of my final year.

The best part about the placement has been the people I have worked with. They have welcomed me with open arms and taught me so much. Their drive and work ethic has encouraged me to return to University with a newfound motivation to complete this final chapter to the best of my ability and ensure I graduate with the best possible grade."

Image shows Lauren with Jon Foster, senior designer at Paramount