Michelle has mowed lawns, worked as a pastry chef and in the marketing team as part of her placements

Michelle Greene is in her final few months on the trainee management scheme at Celtic Manor.

Working in a hotel, no two minutes are the same, let alone two days! I love the buzz of working with guests and the Celtic Manor has so much going on, it’s just a fantastic hotel to work at.

I’d been studying for a Masters degree back home in Ireland, whilst working in a 5-star golf resort over there. As part of the course, we did a case study on the NATO Summit which Celtic Manor hosted in 2014. The resort just looked incredible and I was desperate for a change and wanted to get more management experience so I applied straight away.

The different areas you get to work on give you such an incredible experience – I’ve mowed lawns, worked as a pastry chef, and helped in producing a promotional video for the resort – all were vital in developing an understanding of the business. The scheme moulds you into being an effective manager, giving you an insight that you never otherwise get into all the aspects it takes to make a hotel run effectively and successfully.

The Celtic Manor really is like a family. I’ve created contacts - and friends - for life.

Please note: Students on the BA (Hons) Hotel and Hospitality Management course will benefit from similar practical experience across all areas of the resort as the current trainee managers enjoy.