It's all about the practical experience, says Mariah

Mariah Coles is currently on the trainee management scheme.

I previously did a University degree in Hospitality, but the course was very theoretical and classroom-based. When I graduated I realised that I needed practical experience so I applied for the Celtic Manor trainee management scheme. The resort has such an incredible reputation and there’s such a range of events that happen here, it’s an amazing place to get a breadth of experience across hotel management, restaurants, leisure, events and activities.

In my first week I worked at the Celebrity Cup golf, serving drinks to Anton du Beke and Denise Van Outen! You’re given lots of opportunities to work on prestigious events, which have already given me so much experience in my short time here so far.

Over Christmas, I worked in the Christmas Kingdom, which is a big part of the Celtic Manor’s year. Families can visit to meet Santa and his (real!) reindeers, as well as go ice skating. We welcomed about 60,000 people throughout the holiday season – every day was pretty much fully booked so it was a very busy time.

I love the hustle and bustle of working in a hotel - there’s always something happening at the Celtic Manor Resort. It’s such an exciting place to work. If the USW course had been offered when I was applying for Uni, I would have jumped at the chance – it combines the degree and experience into one. In this industry, a degree alone isn’t enough - it’s all about the practical experience.

Please note: Students on the BA (Hons) Hotel and Hospitality Management course will benefit from similar practical experience across all areas of the resort as the current trainee managers enjoy.