Meet the lecturer: Gaurav Chawla

Course leader for BA (Hons) Hotel and Hospitality Management course tells us about his background in the industry and his plans for the course.

"I started my career in the hospitality industry at the world-renowned Taj Hotel in Mumbai. I gained invaluable experience here and later decided to study for his Masters in Hospitality and Event Management at Edinburgh Napier University. 

I then went on to spend seven years teaching at the highly respected Swiss Hotel Management School, before moving to develop the new Hotel Management degree at University of South Wales. 

This course focusses on sustainability, which is one of my passions. The hospitality sector is moving much more in that direction now, and it’s something that the students will have to understand – businesses want to not only be socially responsible, but also to be seen to be socially responsible. This commitment will run through the modules on the course. 

Practical experience is something which will feature heavily on the course - we’re currently in talks with partners across the world to offer students’ work experience opportunities. It’s important for students to understand exactly what goes on in the industry, and how hospitality businesses range in size from small boutique hotels, to those owned by major chains.

Not only will they go out into these businesses and learn the whole range of skills needed to be a success in their chosen career, they will hear from those who are already working in the sector – learning first-hand what is expected of them when in the real world."