Construction project management course will lead to promotion

Yasir Tabook, MSc-Construction-Project-Management

Yasir Tabook, from Oman, is a project manager for the Royal Estates in the Sultanate of Oman.

With a civil engineering degree already under his belt, Yasir was keen to develop his construction skills, and was sponsored by his employer to do a postgraduate degree in Construction Project Management.

The value of postgraduate study

"Graduate study in the UK is one the most beneficial endevours for any professional across the globe, taking into account that the educational quality, reputation and learning standards in the UK are very high.

I decided to continue my studies as in my current role, it was crucial for me to develop my leadership and decision making skills, as well as learn the professional and contemporary techniques around managing construction projects.

The construction project management course is teaching me the intricacies of how to manage a project from the inception stage to handing over; and the challenges of delivering it on time, to budget and to the best quality and safety standards.

I have enjoyed mastering practical skills, such as how to conduct financial appraisal calculations via Excel; how to use Autodesk-Revit software and MS Project software.

Studying abroad

Living in Cardiff has been great, meeting new people and learning new cultures. I have met so many international students, both inside the University and locally in Cardiff and have become part of a friendly community.

There is a lot of support for international students, both from the university tutors, and the library staff who are very helpful to your academic studies.

Many of the home students on the course are studying part time alongside their job, which offers the opportunity for us as international students to gain their experience and share ideas.

Promotion

On completion of the Construction Project Management programme I will feel confident to manage the upcoming construction projects in a professional manner.

I am on track for a promotion and, thanks to the course's RICS-accreditation, I look forward to becoming a member of the elite project managers/ leaders in my home country."