Dominic is a Propulsion Engineering Intern at GE Aviation

Dominic studied the BSc (Hons) Aircraft Maintenance Engineering and is now working as a Propulsion Engineering Intern at GE Aviation, Wales. 

“My role is to provide technical support and guidance for site operations, in relation to the Rolls-Royce RB211 and CFM56 engine products. My responsibilities include tracking engines through the business, including ongoing and offgoing parts, raising technical variances to return components to serviceable conditions, resolving technical queries, process improvement and documentation facilitation.

“Going to university helped me understand how to prioritise work and how to balance my life and my goals. Particularly during the final year, when there were many conflicting deadlines and exam periods. I believe this has transposed over to the workplace, as I am now capable of prioritising tasks within work effectively to reach development benchmarks and goals.

“I enjoyed the range of learning that the modules encompassed, particularly aerodynamics. I also enjoyed how passionate and involved the lecturers were, they really knew their stuff and it showed.

“In my present role, I enjoy being part of a fast-paced environment and the fact that every day is different. Also, the scale of what I am doing and the fact that it has a real-world impact. A large portion of my job depends on who might phone me, or what e-mail might drop into my inbox at any given time, I find this an exciting way to work and it keeps things fresh.

“I have recently been accepted onto the Operational Management Leadership Program (OMLP) with GE. This will be a two-year rotational program throughout Europe, which will involve me engaging in different roles relating to operations at various GE sites. Once completed successfully, the aim is to go into a management role within the GE infrastructure.”