Joshua is on a 12-month paid internship at GE Aviation

Joshua studied the BSc (Hons) Aircraft Maintenance Engineering and is now on a 12-month paid internship at GE Aviation, Wales. He tells us more about what his job involves and how his degree helped to prepare him for the role. He also gives an insight into how this placement has led to an exciting new opportunity within the aviation industry.

“As part of the GE90 operations team, my role involves ensuring that day to day operations regarding GE90 high pressure compressor and fan case modules run as smoothly and efficiently as possible.

“My responsibilities include acting as gate leader in absence of my direct manager, arranging repairs and ensuring the module has fully accumulated before launching it for build, hosting three weekly production meetings and reporting data to senior management. Over time, I have also gained much more control over the management and production side of things, where I’ve had to take initiative and make a number of important decisions.

“I believe the technical skills I developed at the University of South Wales have assisted me a lot, as they gave me a general, broad understanding of the aviation industry, allowing me to pick things up more easily when starting the role. In particular, the Gas Turbines module along with my dissertation, ‘Future of Aircraft Propulsion’ significantly improved my understanding of the hardware and principles applied to jet engines. This gave me an advantage, as I understood key technical terms, processes and names of parts that others might not have.

“The hands-on side of my university degree gave me a great appreciation of engineering principles, techniques and practices, and has allowed me to integrate with the shop floor more easily as I understand things from their point of view.

“What I enjoyed most about the course was the wide range of topics it covered and the opportunity to apply classroom knowledge to practical tasks within the university hanger.

In my present role, I enjoy having a large amount of responsibility. I spend a lot of time on the shop floor understanding problems first hand and enjoy working with the team to overcome these issues. I have been given a number of opportunities to step up and prove myself over the past six months and have been able to take part in some of the volunteering opportunities provided.

“I have recently been offered a place on GE Aviation’s Operations Management Leadership Program (OMLP). This two-year programme develops future leaders within GE and comprises three eight-month rotations at different European GE Aviation locations. The programme also involves supporting me to achieve my green belt in six sigma. After the programme, I intend on pursuing a lead/professional band position within GE Aviation, possibly within lean/six sigma or operations.”