Dance students perform in Jack Whitehall's Cardiff show

USW Dance students with Jack Whitehall

BA (Hons) Dance students Charlotte, Ffion and Martha were given the opportunity of a lifetime, when asked to perform on stage at Jack Whitehall’s Cardiff gigs, as part of his comedy tour Jack Whitehall: At Large. Charlotte Perkins, Ffion Morley and Martha Dunbar, students on the BA (Hons) Dance course based at the University’s Cardiff campus were given the opportunity after course leader Matt Gough was contacted by Jack’s manager.

“I was contacted by Jack’s manager to see if we had students who would fit the bill. They needed some ‘show girl’ dancers to open the second act of the show, and  I thought it was a great opportunity for the some of the dancers to put into practice what we have been doing over the term. Employability and professional skills are a core part of the course content, so I knew that even as first years they would be ready for whatever was asked”. The gig took place at Cardiff’s Motorpoint Arena, within a few steps of USW’s Cardiff Campus.

“I think this shows just how well we’re placed for working with the creative industries in Cardiff” commented Matt, who added “It’s great to see too that our students are considered to be meeting consistently strong standards”.

Student Martha, who was one of those selected to take part said that the opportunity to perform with Jack was “the best experience I’ve ever had”.

“We performed in sparkly dresses holding big white feather fans 'hiding' Jack from the audience as flames and fireworks shot down around us.” she said. 

Ffion added “It was only a short routine at the start of the second half of the show but it was an amazing opportunity. Jack was amazing and treated us really well too, offering to have photos with us.”

Find out more about the course at www.southwales.ac.uk/dance